Ross & Marg Atkins, Paestan Canoe Hire,
Winnap - Nelson Rd.
Winnap VIC 3304
Ross: 0429 381 875
Margaret: 0458 553 708
itinerary page - self guided
testimonials & stories
fleet & equipment
Canoe Trip Review - Lower Glenelg National Park|
This information is the review of a trip taken in October 2011 and was supplied by Peter Harvey, Adelaide. You will need to have Google Earth installed to view this file - you can download Google Earth here. OPEN FILE: Canoe Trip - Lower Glenelg National Park - October 2012.kml.
There is also an accompanying file, Distances between Glenelg River Camps also provided by Peter Harvey.
Recommended Canoeing and Kayaking Trips on the Glenelg River
Note: All trips can run in reverse. Wind strength and wind direction rather than flow rate more often than not determines the ease or otherwise of any canoeing or kayaking trip on the Glenelg River.
In calm conditions canoeists paddling comfortably should paddle at approximately 4km/hr.
Day Trips - No Camping
- Moleside Bushwalkers and Canoe Landing to Pritchards Car Camp- 10km. Adult and child Paddle. Upper reaches paddle.
- Sapling Creek Picnic Area to Dry Creek Boat Ramp [SA]-14.7km. Adult and teenage children paddle. Lower reaches paddle.
- Pines Canoe Camp to Wild Dog Bend Car Camp- 6.8 km. Good adult and small children paddle. Upper reaches paddle.
- Pines Canoe Camp to Saunders Boat Ramp and Picnic area- 14km. Adult paddle. Upper reaches.
- Sandy Waterholes Boat Ramp and Picnic Area to Nelson Boat Ramp-15.6 km. Adult paddle. Princess Margaret Rose Caves to visit en route. Lower reaches paddle.
- Sandy Waterholes Boat Ramp and Picnic Area to Donovanís Landing Boat ramp and Picnic area-7.4km. Adult and children paddle. Princess Margaret Rose Caves Tour. Lower reaches paddle.
2 Day Trips - Overnight Camping
- Holmes Landing [Start outside National Park Boundary] to Pritchard Car Camp. O/N Moleside Canoe & Bushwalking Camp. 8km/10km. Upper reaches paddle.
- Moleside Canoe & Bushwalking camp to Sapling Creek Boat Ramp and Picnic area. O/N Skipworth Springs Canoe Camp. 13.7km/12.5km. Mid river paddle.
- Sapling Creek Boat Ramp and Picnic Area to Donovans Boat Ramp and Picnic Area. O/N Lasletts Canoe Camp. 9.5km/6.8km. PMR Cave tour. Lower reaches paddle.
- Saunders Boat Ramp and Picnic Area to Sapling Creek Boat Ramp and Picnic Area. O/N Georges Rest Canoe Camp. 11.7km/7.7km. Upper reaches paddle.
- Battersbys Car Camp to Dry Creek Boat Ramp. O/N Pattersonís Canoe Camp. 13km/10.3km. PMR Cave tour. Lower reaches paddle.
3 Day Trips - 2 Nights Camping
- Saunders Landing Boat Ramp and picnic Area to Dry Creek Boat Ramp. O/N Georges Rest Canoe Camp & Pattersonís Canoe Camp. 11.7km/12.2km/10.2km. Lower reaches paddle.
- Moleside Canoe and Bushwalkers Camp to Donovanís Landing. O/N Skipworth Springs Canoe Camp & Bowds Canoe Camp. 13.7km/14.4km/14.4km. Lower reaches paddle.
- Pritchardís Car Camp and Boat Ramp to Nelson Boat Ramp and Township. O/N Forest Camp North Canoe & Car Camp & Lasletts Canoe Camp. 11.1km/14.6km/14.6km. Mid/Lower Paddle.
- Batterbys Car Camp to Nelson Boat Ramp and Township. O/N Patterson Canoe Camp & Lasletts Canoe Camp. PMR Cave Tour. 13km/5km/14.6km. Mid and Lower reaches paddle.
4 Day Trips - 3 Night Camping
- Moleside Canoe & Bushwalking Camp to Nelson Boat Ramp & Township. O/N Skipworth Springs Canoe Camp, Bowds Canoe Camp & Lasletts Canoe Camp. 13.7km/14.4km/8.6km/14.6km. PMR Cave Tour. Middle and lower reaches paddle.
- Saunders Landing Boat Ramp & Picnic Area to Nelson Boat Ramp and Township. O/N Georges Rest Canoe Camp, Patterson Canoe Camp & Lasletts Canoe Camp. 11.7/12.2km/5km/14.6km. PMR Cave Tour. Middle and Lower reaches paddle.
- Pritchards Car Camp to Donovans Landing Boat Ramp. O/N Forest Camp North Canoe Camp, Patterson Canoe Camp & Lasletts Canoe Camp. 11.2km/9.6km/5km/6.8km.
- As a general rule primary age children find 8-10 km per day more than enough paddling. Generally parents and carers do most of the paddling. Paestan provide kayak paddles for groups with young children.
- Junior Secondary age children find 12km a day sufficient and Senior Secondary students, as with most adults, find 14-16km more than enough paddling each day.
- Kayak Paddlers [except primary age children and some Junior Secondary children] should add approx 20% to 30% to the above distances for a rough per day calculation of paddling distance. Extremely fit and proficient Kayak paddlers can paddle much greater distances as the Glenelg River is a flat watercourse.
- Paestan Canoe Hire can drop off and pick up at most camps along the river.
- The Glenelg River is affected by tide which can push all the way up to Dartmoor [75km inland]. Paddlers rarely feel the effects of tide however and should be more concerned with wind strength and direction.
- Occasionally the Glenelg River Basin is affected by flooding-generally only moderate flooding and this will elevate river levels one to two metres. River levels will also rise if the river mouth to the sea is blocked at Nelson as ground water feeds into the river below Nelson- this causes the river to become a long meandering lake. Campsites along the river are rarely, if ever, affected by these phenomena.
- Paestan Canoe Hire provide free accommodation the night prior to your trip.
- Paestan Canoe Hire also provide free secure car parking and can also arrange [with notice] to have your car taken to your pick location. Only relevant to some S.A. clients.
Please ring Ross on 0429 381 875 or Marg 0458 553 708 for more information.
gear check list
accommodation & local attractions
special offers picture gallery
© Copyright AUSCITY